Monday, February 9, 2009

+$500, back to even for Feb

I ended up finishing ahead exactly $500 yesterday making me down a whopping $9.90 for Feb. Basically even. It feels really good to be back to even and hopefully my stats start going in the right direction. UP! I finished with 3 straight W's in the 230's to pull me out of the hole. Earlier in the day I took a crack at a $345 and won that as well which was helpful. Towards the end of my session, I had a brutal misclick in a 9 man $60 where I 3bet to 900 preflop with 7 10 after villain 3x to 450 from MP. Villain smooth called and I jammed my last 400 on Jxx flop and villain had JQ, lol. I run so bad with misclicks. I remember one a while back in a 9 handed game where I limp AA UTG off a 15 BB stack or so, another guy limps behind and button shoves all in, folds to me so obv I fold. HA.

I decided to take today off of playing. I've been putting in quite a few hours playing the last few days and I can feel the burnout coming. I'll get back into the swing tomorrow being even on the month and be ready to grind. It's time for a little break anyways, I've had such horrible luck this last week that it's getting to the point where every little thing that goes wrong in each game just pisses me off too much. It's hard to play good poker when you are pissed off like that. It seemed like yesterday I'd even get mad if I checked down K high and lost to A high in an unraised pot. Ridiculous. Usually just taking a single day off can make a world of difference for my attitude, maybe I should have done this a little sooner.

I feel I've been putting too much pressure on myself to make money since 09 started. I think the reason for this is that 100k goal I made. I am putting way too much emphasis on this monetary target. There is still a good chance I can reach that goal, it's so early in the year but if I don't get there I don't care. I'll be more than happy with another 75k year. Even if I make less than that, that's all right. The 100k is def still my goal, but I'm not going to put so much pressure on myself to get there that it makes it no fun to play. The reason I originally started doing this for a living is because I could make more money than my other job, but also because I really love playing and enjoy the freedom it gives me. This is the best job I've ever had and I love everything about it. The competition, the rush, the mental stimulation, hell even the occasional chatbox smack talk. There is no telling if poker will be nearly as profitable an occupation in 5 yrs so I might as well enjoy it, and not get so obsessed with how much money I am making/not making. The truth is that even if I was offered a "normal" job that would pay me 200k/yr in 09 I would not take it because I like what I do now too much.

That's that, no more pressure on myself to make x amount of dollars/month. Just play my A game at all times and enjoy the game, the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of it.

No comments: