Tuesday, June 1, 2010

May is finished, +$9,500

"It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner." Vince Lombardi


Ugh. The 2nd half of the May turned into a bitch for me. After my last update I had a few good days pushing my profit to around 12k, but then I had a 3 day stretch where I dropped around $5,400 and spent the rest of the month recovering from that. I guess I did recover, but just to the point of getting back to where I was at the halfway point of the month. So I guess I just broke even the last 2 weeks. It probably wouldn't have been quite so bad if I hadn't tilted off a couple buy ins in a few sessions I played. I played really bad in a few of my games during the last 2 weeks, was just getting frustrated with the shit. I also had a dumb rematching session against some guy in the $345's on FTP. I played him like 35 games stretching out for more than 4 hours. I should have quit after about game 10. It was late night/early morning and I was getting tired and didn't really feel like playing, but for some reason I got stubborn with it and just kept accepting rematches. I eventually quit after losing like 6 of my last 7 games to him and being real spewy in the process. By the time it was over he had taken a few buy ins off me for about $2,500. I thought I had an edge on him so kept playing, but after game 10 or so it was definitely a mistake to keep playing. Just too tired and frustrated to think clearly and make good plays. It doesn't seem I'm ever real good in long battles with multiple rematches unless I'm winning. Even if we're splitting the matches 50/50 I start to lose a little something. I'm guessing that's the case for a lot of people though.

Anywayssssssss, it's not like May was a disaster, not by any means. While having a 2 week breakeven stretch doesn't happen often to me and is discouraging, it's just something that's gonna happen a few times each year.

I've noticed that so far this year I'm really getting the shit end of variance in the $345. It's kind of annoying. I'm doing about what I expect in the $230 with a winning percentage of 56.6% and $19/game. The $345 this year has been a different story with a winning percentage of 53.3% and about $6.50/game. I guess I can't bitch about it much cause that's the price of playing multiple buy in levels. It just seems ridic to be making more money in the $230 then the $345 so far this year. I've played about 2,500 $345 games across stars and FTP in my career with a $17/game avg. I think long term I could hit the $25-$28 range, but I'm not sure. I mean 2,500 games is a pretty decent sample size, but I don't think it's out of the question to run a little bad over that kind of stretch. Lifetime across both sites in the $230 I'm at $18/game and it would seem kinda weird that the competition is that much tougher at the $345 compared to the $230 that I would have the same $/game. I sure don't seem to notice that the players are that much better overall. There doesn't seem to be much skill difference between the two levels. I guess the nosebleed players tend to sit a 345 more than a 230. I've been sat my livb and other players who normally play $500-$5,000 stakes before at the 345, but not so much at the 230. I don't think that kind of stuff can make a huge difference unless it's happening a lot though. I guess only time will tell.

May was quite a success from a volume standpoint as I put in about 670 games which is definitely the most I have done in a long time. I'm hoping in June to have another 600 game month! Bring on June!!

bartchalker

2 comments:

razor25 said...

Hey Bart - do you do coaching at all? If not, I am just starting out and had a few questions. Would you mind?

1) Do you scope all your opponents (sometimes I get too obsessed with trying to find fish).
2) How did you learn? Do you recommend anything eg husng.com?
3) Is 50 buy ins enough?
4) Do you ever auto pilot games or do you always try and find out their tendancies and adjust?
5) can I send you any HHs, because I cannot get my head round when to 3 bet and best hands to do it etc.

Thanks so much and great blog.

bartchalker said...

Razor, no I don't do any coaching, but I'll be happy to answer your questions.

1) I usually scope my opponents but not in the way you're talking about. I don't scope opponents looking for fish to play. I just sit first and play whoever sits me. It's nearly impossible to try and wait for fish and sit them at the higher stakes, and actually something I've never done. I would recommend sitting first so that way you get some experience against better players too while you're moving up. If you want to reach higher stakes you're going to have problems if you can only beat fish, and not even mediocre competition.

2)I pretty much just taught myself. I've read quite a few books, but that has been mainly after I've had a good grasp on how to play, but they've def helped also. I've never subscribed to any online video site or gotten coaching or anything like that. I just learned from playing and it's just something i had a knack for and over the years have gotten pretty good. I do like to rail other player's games who I think are good and try to pick stuff up though.

3) Depends on your skill level relative to the competition and if you're playing turbos or reg speed, but I would say 50 is enough. I've always gone closer to 100, but I'm conservative with my bankroll which has worked out well for me.

4) I'm always trying to adjust to my opponents. I take every game I play seriously. Sometimes if I'm not feeling in the zone I kind of fall into a weak/tight type of style. So yes I do auto pilot games but it's not on purpose, it's just when I'm playing bad. Playing on auto pilot is a form of tilt and it's probably best to stop playing.

5) Sorry, I don't do any coaching/hand history reviews, maybe in the future I will, but I really don't think so. You can buy coaching off of Hokiegreg's page though.

Hope that helped.